Confederate President Jefferson Davis tried to flee to Shreveport, intending to go down the Mississippi, when he left Richmond but was captured en route in Irwinville, Georgia.Throughout the war, women in Shreveport did much to assist the soldiers fighting mostly far to the east. Winters writes of them in The Civil War in Louisiana: "The women of Shreveport and vicinity labored long hours over their sewing machines to provide their men with adequate underclothing and uniforms.Fort Albert Sidney Johnston was built on a ridge northwest of the city.Because of limited development in that area, the site is relatively undisturbed.After the excitement of Fort Sumter, there was a great rush to get the volunteer companies ready and off to New Orleans...Forming a Military Aid Society, the ladies of Shreveport requested donations of wool and cotton yarn for knitting socks.On March 20, 1839, the town was incorporated as Shreveport.Originally, the town consisted of 64 city blocks, created by eight streets running west from the Red River and eight streets running south from Cross Bayou, one of its tributaries.
By 1914, neglect and lack of use due to diversion of freight traffic to railroad lines resulted in the Red River becoming unnavigable.
Joined by others, the Society collected blankets for the wounded and gave concerts and tableaux to raise funds.
Tickets were sold for a diamond ring given by the mercantile house of Hyams and Brothers..." A Confederate minstrel show gave two performances to raise money for the war effort in Shreveport in December 1862.
The Red River, which had been opened by Shreve in the 1830s, remained navigable throughout the Civil War.
Water levels got so low at one point that Union Admiral David Dixon Porter was trapped with his gunboats north of Alexandria.